Friday, March 13, 2009

Ovarian Cyst

I went to the doctor about a month ago (ob/gyn) because I had been having some spotting between my periods. It has been going on for quite a while and it was becoming more noticeable. So my doctor ordered a sonogram just to be on the safe side (I'm really not even sure what she was looking for).

So the next Friday I went in to have my sonogram. In the middle of the procedure the lady doing the sonogram very bluntly blurts out, "You have a huge cyst on your ovary!!" Then she told me that it was about 9 cm (which is about the size of a baseball!!) and asked if I have been in pain. I told her that I had not been in any pain. Then she tells me that she is going to get the on-call doctor to come in a explain this to me. At this point, I 'm not really sure what to the think. She came back and said that he would not be in for a while and she would just have him call me. Partly because I was in shock and partly because I usually just do what I'm told without asking questions, I left. When I got into the car and called my mom and sister they quickly instructed me to go back and demand that someone speak with me.

Again, doing what I'm told, I went back. I waited in the waiting room for a little over an hour before the nurse finally came out to get me. Finally, someone was going to explain what this meant. She took me into a tiny room and basically said that the doctor couldn't do anything for me today so he wanted me to make an appointment with my doctor for Monday (keep in mind that still no one had explained what a cyst on your ovary means). The only other thing she said was that I was not allowed to exercise or have sex over the weekend until I could see my doctor on Monday and we could "make a plan".

So I spent the weekend googling all the possible outcomes of ovarian cysts. It turns out that they can be very common and don't usually cause much trouble. After talking with my doctor I found out that my cyst, she believes, is a paraovarian cyst. This means that it is not on my ovarian but beside it, probably on my fallopian tube. She said she wanted to wait 6 weeks and see if it changes or goes away on its own and if not she would do surgery.

So my sonogram is scheduled for March 30th. I hoping and praying that it will be completely gone. Dave and I are going to start trying to get pregnant and this has put a little bump in the road. Even though the surgery is not that invasive, I don't want to have surgery right before getting pregnant. But for now, I still have no pain, which is hard to believe considering there is a cyst the size of a baseball in my stomach!!!

2 comments:

Diane said...

wow Liz, Craig and I will be praying for you lots! Hope you continue feeling well, I miss you!

sjefferson said...

Praying for you!