Sunday, August 10, 2008

Triathlon










I completed my first triathlon this morning. It was a 400 meter swim, 13 mile bike, and 5 K run. We could not have asked for better weather. It was almost chilly this morning. Getting into the lake water actually warmed us up. That is remarkable for mid August!!
The swim was not like anything that I was expecting. Swimming in a lake in the middle of 60 other women is not even close to swimming in a country club pool. I couldn't see anything under water and every time I tried to get into a rythm I would touch the person's butt or leg in front of me. You just had almost no space to actually stretch out and swim.
The bike ride was actually my favorite part. We went all the way up 41. I didn't really get tired or hurt at all during the biking.
When I made the transition from the bike to the run I immediately started cramping in the calves. Luckily, I had a small hand held water bottle with an energy drink and electrolyte pills. I took two pills right away and the cramps very quickly faded. At the very end my quads started cramping but it was o.k. since it was at the end.
Everyone at the race was so friendly and supportive of each other. All and all, I really enjoyed the experience and would definitely do another tri.
Special thanks to my wonderful dad who woke up at 3 a.m. to drive two hours to get his camera to capture all these wonderful shots.

0 comments: